Gams-Bart Roggenbier – All-Grain
Recipe by Kip Barnes of LA Aleworks
There’s a resurgence of rye beers at the moment, especially among the homebrew afficianados who are looking to extend their repertoire. Try this rye from kip Barnes at LA Aleworks – just the thing for anyone looking for something new to tackle this summer.
Expected Brew Figures
Volume: 21 litres
1.5kg German Pilsner Malt
1.5kg Rye Malt
660g Dark Munich Malt
660g Light Munich Malt
330g Chocolate Rye Malt
120g CaraMunich Malt
120g Rice Hulls
½ tsp Gypsum (during the mash)
26gm Tettnanger (4.5%AA) 60 minutes
13 gm HallertauerMittelfruh (4.0%AA) 15 minutes
Wyeast 3638 Bavarian Wheat
1. Strike the grains at 50oC for 20 minutes.
2. Raise to 65oC for 20 minutes and then 75.5oC for 10 minutes.
3. Bring wort to the boil and add the Tettnanger for 60mins.
4. Add the Hallertauer with 15 minutes remaining.
5. Pitch yeast and ferment at 17-18oC for 10-14 days or until fermentation subsides.
6. Condition the beer for 14 days before bottling.