The Local Taphouse in St Kilda has been named Australia’s best beer venue in Beer & Brewer’s list of the country’s top 50 beer establishments.
Melbourne’s renowned craft beer venue, which is owned by GABS festival founders Steve Jeffares and Guy Greenstone, narrowly beat The Wheatsheaf Hotel in Thebarton for the prime spot, while The Local Taphouse’s sister venue in Darlinghurst, and last year’s winner, came in at number three.
Iconic Fremantle hotel Sail and Anchor was fourth, with Newcastle’s The Grain Store crowned fifth best beer venue in the land.
The Top 10 Australian Beer Venues are:
(1) The Local Taphouse, St Kilda, VIC
(2) The Wheatsheaf Hotel, Thebarton, SA
(3) The Local Taphouse, Darlinghurst, NSW
(4) Sail and Anchor Hotel, Fremantle, WA
(5) The Grain Store, Newcastle, NSW
(6) The Welcome Hotel, Rozelle, NSW
(7) The Dutch Trading Co, Victoria Park, WA
(8) The Back Room Bar at Carwyn Cellars, Thornbury, VIC
(9) Royal Albert Hotel, Surry Hills, NSW
(10) Cookie/Rooftop, Melbourne, VIC
The list was compiled with the help of 22 industry experts, including Ian Kingham, Matt Kirkegaard, Kirrily Waldhorn, James Smith and Chris McNamara. Each expert voted for their five favourite venues. There were no strict criteria. Judges voted based on the range and choice of beers, the quality of service and staff knowledge, and venue atmosphere.
The complete list of the top 50 beer venues, together with judges’ comments, can be found in the Spring Issue of Beer & Brewer, which is on sale now in newsagents, liquor stores and home brewer shops.
You can subscribe to Beer & Brewer here.
Did we miss your favourite craft beer spot? Tell us on Facebook what’s your top craft beer venue and the spot with the most mentions will be announced next week as the Beer & Brewer People’s Choice Top Beer Venue.