Reporting to the General Manager, the Head Brewer will oversee the entire brewery operation – the brewery is broken down into brewing (production) and packaging work areas with each work area having its own team leader.
Being a small business it is absolutely necessary the applicant is flexible in their propensity to take on challenges in all facets of the business, including building relationships and working with management, sales, administration and brewing staff.
The main work undertaken by the Head Brewer is as follows:
- Quality Management – Manage all aspects of product quality from raw materials inspection, brew management, fermentations, final product specification, sensory evaluation, lab work and matching final product specification to product specification. Liaise with the General Manager in the instance where product is out of specification
- Staff Management – the Brewhouse Manager and Packaging Manager report to the Head Brewer. Coordination of staff activities within production and packaging is conducted through the Brewhouse Manager and Packaging Manager respectively. The Head Brewer is responsible for general staff management in production and packaging, recruiting, rostering and general morale of brewery staff
- Quoting/Costing of Products – For both Southern Bay and Contract Brewed products, complete costing of the bill of materials, labour and utilities for both brewing and packaging
- Production Scheduling – Management and maintenance of the brewing/packaging schedule and optimisation of the schedule to ensure that the brewery is operating at maximum efficiency and capacity
- Procurement – Selection of preferred suppliers for all bill of materials and utilities based on the best interests of Southern Bay, purchase order approval and reporting to admin/accounts
- Goods In/Goods Out – Liaise with accounts/admin to ensure that client invoices have been paid and contract brewed product is ready to be shipped. Liaise with accounts/admin to ensure that goods ordered match those purchased
- Product Development – Develop new and innovative products for the Southern Bay brand. This includes beer recipe development and liaison with graphic designers to ensure both beer and label are desirable for the craft beer consumer and will sell well. Selling into the Trade and participation at Events, both internal and external
- Recipe Formulation/Specification – Document and specify the recipe and formulation for both Southern Bay and contract brewed beers. This includes both beer production and packaging specification. The product specification is to be placed with each batch of product
- Problem Solving – Brewing is a highly analytical profession. Work as and when problems arise to solve problems in a reactive manner or apply brewing engineering or process skills to solve problems in a proactive manner with a view to maintaining maximum production throughput capacity and minimising down time
- Capital Works Project Management – Determine and prioritise all capital works under the company’s reinvestment and continuous improvement program
- Development and Maintenance of SOPs – Document Standard Operating Procedures and maintain an iterative improvement program. Ensure that SOPs are communicated to all staff. Enhance and maintain Lean Manufacturing principles throughout the business.
About the Brewery
Southern Bay Brewing Company, located in Geelong, Victoria is a leading craft brewer, providing it’s own beer to the market place.
The brewery is also a contract brewing operation and packages beer for many other craft breweries in bottle and keg.
They seek an enterprising person who can successfully coordinate all aspects of the Brewery Operation to help build the growth of their Beer in the market and the Contract Brewing services they offer to the industry.
Applications can be directed via email to the General Manager, Ben Israel.
Applications close Feb 28, 2013.